This morning as I kayaked out into Tampa Bay, I saw this sign for the first time. I’m sure I’ve seen the sign in the past…but it wasn’t until today that it took on a new meaning.
We are now in the heart of the holiday season and our culture is under siege by marketing companies trying to make us feel a certain way and act a certain way…and it usually ends with us parting with our hard earned money in exchange for the false promises these companies tease us with.
The funny thing is…we all know better…
We all know what works for us and what fills our hearts rather than emptying our pockets…we know this…
So, my hope and prayer is that for this holiday season, we will all try to slow down. Let’s try to be intentional about not only what we do…but why we are doing it.
Here’s an idea… take each of the following suggestions and do only one a day…then at the end of the day, ask yourself how that made you feel. Give it a try and add to the list as well!
- For one day, use your phone only to only talk on it!
- Look strangers in the eye and smile at them.
- Watch the sunrise and say “thank you.”
- Handwrite a note and mail it.
- Take something to Goodwill.
- Round up all your loose change and drop it in a Salvation Army bucket.
- One of my favorites…go to the mall at night and just walk around and enjoy the lights.
- Buy a couple of gift cards and put each in an envelope with a note of encouragement and just randomly pass them out to strangers that you’re drawn to.
- Turn off the TV at home and just play your favorite Christmas music.
- Allow other people to “go ahead of you.”
- Sit down quietly and write down all the things you are grateful for…also include all the people you are grateful for.
We all have so much in this culture, yet we often feel so lacking… Maybe all we need to “do” is to slow down and enjoy what we have always had…the time… to truly appreciate it all…
Blessings to all of you!